Friday, December 4, 2015

Zucchini and Tomato Side Dish- crock pot

I always seem to have an abundance of zucchini in the summer.  This is my favorite way to use it. 

Something I always make but never actually follow a recipe for is googootz (I have NO idea if that's how you spell it).  It is a zucchini and tomato mixture that is so easy and delicious you will want to have it on hand all the time.  I have used it as a side dish as well as a main dish.

Zucchini and Tomato Side Dish

Ingredients
1) 5 medium sized zucchini either green, yellow or a combination
2) 2 large tomatoes
3) 1 large vidalia onion
4) 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
5) 1 egg


Directions
1) Cut zucchini and tomatoes into chunks
2) Dice onion
3) Place zucchini, tomatoes and onion into crock pot
4) Cover and cook on low for 6 hours
5) Crack egg in a bowl and whisk - slowly add some of the hot liquid from the crock pot into your egg and keep whisking and adding mixture into egg until the mixture is almost hot.  I know this sounds confusing and if you mess it up, it's not a big deal.  The egg will just look a bit like a scrambled egg ; )
6) Add hot egg mixture into crock pot and mix together with zucchini mixture
7) Add parmesan cheese to crock pot and mix
8) Enjoy

Use as a side dish or pour over rice or pasta as a dinner.



3 comments :

  1. Googootz reminds me of my grandfather! He used that name for the long zucchini-like squashes he grew, and my grandmother usually made something like this when they all ripened! Glad to know I'm not the only one who has heard the term!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY!! I knew people use the term it but I didn't know what to call it when I wrote it down. Googootz seemed odd. Glad you knew what I was talking about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This has taken me back! Same as Cherie, my Nona used to have the same super long zucchini and make the same thing and I never knew why she called it that. It's still my favorite but we make wells in the zucchini and poach the eggs. Yum!

    ReplyDelete