Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Chicken Barley Stew in the Crock Pot

Chicken Barley Stew in the Crock Pot

Ingredients
1) 4 cups chicken broth
2) 3 cloves garlic
3) 1 teaspoon each salt and pepper
4) 2 bay leaves
5) 1 1/2 pounds boneless chicken breast
6) 1/2 cup black eyed peas (already cooked or canned)   

7) 1/2 cup of barley rinsed
8) 1 sweet onion
9) 2  Sweet potatoes
10) 3 carrots
11) 2 teaspoons fresh basil chopped
12) 2 teaspoons dill chopped

Directions
1) Mince garlic
2) Cube chicken breast
3) Dice onion
4) Peel and cube potatoes
5) Peel and cut carrot into 1/2" pieces
6) Place broth, 1 cup water, garlic, salt, pepper and bay leaves into slow cooker
7) Add chicken, peas and barley
8) Layer onion, potatoes and carrots over the top - do not stir
9) Cover and cook on low for 6 hours
10) Remove bay leaves and stir in basil and dill
11) Enjoy

8 comments :

  1. I'm off this weekend and I sure will be giving this a try. Looks amazing. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you think this would be good with black beans too? I have those on hand!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This Florida girl will be making this on Sunday. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can you make this without the peas?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would think so. It will just be chicken barley then.

      Delete
  5. I have it in my crock pot right now. I did not have carrots so I just use the sweet potatoes and I added a can of black beans to the recipe. We shall see how it turns out

    ReplyDelete